Saturday, December 12, 2015

Federal Permits & Licenses

If your new business is selling alcohol, firearms, commercial angling, etc. - you might need to secure a federal permit. Here is a short breakdown of business activities that most likely require federal licenses and permits.

In addition, you will need to discover which general business permits also require licenses and registrations by your state, city or county.


In the event that you import or transport animals, biologics, animal products, biotechnology or vegetation across condition lines, you’ll need to acquire a permit from the U.S. Division of Agriculture (USDA).

Alcoholic Beverages

If you produce, wholesale, import, or sell alcohol consumption at a retail location, you'll have to acquire certain federal permits with the U.S. Treasury’s Alcoholic beverages and Tobacco Taxes and Trade Bureau (TTB). The web site has lots of online tools that make getting these permits simple. If you're just starting a company in this trade, begin by reading the TTB’s New Site visitors Guide that provides helpful information for small enterprises.

Remember, you'll also need to get hold of your local Alcoholic beverages Beverage Control for you area for local alcoholic beverages business licensing and permit information.


Will your business involve the use of aircraft?  When you start transporting people or goods via air you will need a license.  So make sure to look at the Federal Aviation Administration rules and regulations.

FAA Certificates and Licenses - Get licensing information for airmen, aircraft, airports, airlines and medical aviation services.
Pilot Licenses and Training Requirements
Aircraft Auto technician Licenses

Firearms, Explosives and ammunition

Businesses who produce, import and deal firearms, ammunitions and explosives must adhere to the Weapon Control Act’s licensing requirements. The Take action is given by the Bureau of Alcoholic beverages, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Make reference to the  resources offered by the ATF to ensure your business is properly certified.

Wildlife and fish

If your business is involved in virtually any wildlife related activity, like the import/export of wildlife and derivative products, must obtain a proper permit from the U.S. Wildlife and fish Service.

Commercial Fisheries

Commercial fishing companies must get a license for fishing undertakings from the NOAA Fisheries Service. The guide includes fast links allowing applications and information to be quickly accessed.

Maritime Transportation

In the event that you provide sea transportation or assist in the shipment of cargo by sea.  You will need to apply for a permit from the Federal Maritime Commission.

Mining and Drilling

Businesses mixed up in drilling for gas, essential oil or other nutrient resources on federal government lands may be asked to get yourself a drilling certification from the Bureau of Energy Management.

Television and radio Broadcasting

In case your business broadcasts information by radio, television, wire, cable and satellite, you might be required to get yourself a license from your Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Logistics and transportation

In the event that you operate an oversize or overweight vehicle, you’ll need to follow the U.S. Section of Transportation.

Make sure to follow the rules and regulations before you land yourself in hot water.  Opening a new business can seem like monumental task but taking it one bite at a time makes it manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment